North Star Cruises
Coral Atoll Cruise
No dive qualifi cations required - a Rowley Shoals cruise focussed on snorkelling, fishing and simply relaxing amidst a breathtaking coral habitat.
- Night One:
- Your “welcome aboard” the luxurious True North is in the frontier pearling port of Broome. Embarkation is at 1700 – time for a cocktail with your fellow adventurers before departing at approximately 1800. Dinner is served shortly after leaving port and then it’s an overnight steam to the Rowley Shoals. (Please note that North Star Cruises visits the Rowley Shoals only during the months of September, October and November. These months are normally associated with “the doldrums” – a period of light winds and calm seas. In addition, the True North is fitted with computer controlled motion stabilisers that minimise vessel movement. Passengers can therefore anticipate comfortable conditions when cruising to the Shoals – however observing the normal precautions associated with the prevention of seasickness is always recommended.)
- Day One:
- You arrive early at Clerke Reef. Sample their fruit platter and a sumptuous breakfast before exploring the atoll’s huge lagoon. You will marvel at crystal clear waters teaming with life – clouds of fi sh and corals of every imaginable colour and shape. There will be plenty of opportunity for beach combing on Bedwell Island, relaxed snorkelling in tropical waist deep water or perhaps some “catch & release” lagoon fi shing using eco-friendly tackle.
Their qualified and experienced crew will be on-hand to personally introduce everyone to the delights of this pristine environment. When you’re not on excursion, relax onboard True North and enjoy their renowned fi ne cuisine in air-conditioned comfort. The licensed open-air bar will definitely be “the spot” to witness your first spectacular ‘Rowley Sunset’.
- Day Two:
- Start the day with a visit to the Aquarium! Forget the Great Barrier Reef – this is world-class snorkelling at its very best! Even if you’ve never put your head under water before – this is an absolute must. The water is only waist deep however the experience is literally “out of this world”! More brilliantly coloured corals, giant clams and more than 600 of the world’s most beautiful fi sh species at your fingertips! Don’t forget your underwater camera! After another sumptuous lunch try an introductory SCUBA dive or hand feed maori wrasse and potato cod from True North’s back steps! Then they ’ll “crank up the action” with something very unique – high-speed snorkel drifts through the outer reef! Again their friendly crew members will be on hand to ensure that everyone gets to try this once-in-a lifetime experience – as many times as you like! Their anchorage tonight is in the “swimming pool like” waters of Clerke Lagoon – 300 kilometres off the coast of Australia!
- Day Three:
- Another day in paradise – perhaps an early morning swim and breakfast on the deck before they manoeuvre True North out of the lagoon. Now it’s time to experience the thrill of snorkelling from a 50 metre cruise boat - their captain will “back-up” to within inches of the reef and all you need to do is step off True North’s convenient rear steps! Outer reef snorkelling is a totally different experience – the sheer coral walls will take your breath away! Close encounters with humpback whales, manta rays and sailfish are also on the agenda as they cruise the outer reef. Finish the day with sunset drinks on the beach and one of their famous Island Parties! Then it’s back to the ultimate comfort of True North and another perfect night in Clerke Lagoon – 360° stars reflected in a glassy ocean!
- Day Four:
- Start the day with an early morning stroll on your very own sand cay before you enjoy a leisurely cruise to Mermaid Reef – the Rowley’s northern-most atoll. By now you will be addicted to snorkelling on the outer reef and your wish is their command! You ’ll spend the day exploring the outer reef of this remote and untouched wilderness and, depending on the tide, you may become one of the few people who have ever walked on Mermaid’s sand cay – it is completely submerged by tide twice a day. Then all too soon, it’s time for our overnight steam to Broome. Re-live what is guaranteed to be an experience of a lifetime as the Rowleys merge into a blazing western sky! Join the crew at the Captain’s Party and enjoy “the best sleep of your life”.
- Day Five:
- Early morning arrival in Broome in time to disembark at 0800 hours. Transfer to the airport or your accommodation – your voyage on the True North need only be the start of a Kimberley Adventure!
This itinerary is provided as example only – prevailing conditions and local arrangements may cause variation.